Conclusion and "send out" of four part intro series on following Christ.
1 - Who was Jesus and why did he have to die?
2 - What is the church and how do I grow?
3 - Who am I and how do I fit into God's Kingdom?
4 - Where do I go from here?
Purpose & Meaning
A. You are created for Praise & Worship:
1. Living Sacrifices – spiritual act of Worship | Romans 12:1
2. Natural response – sing for joy, thanksgiving, extol him with music | Psalm 95:6
a. We were made for worship, and we'll find something to worship if we don't worship God | Luke 6:43 – overflow of the heart
i . Idolatry – good and basic things elevated into being ultimate things (Tim Keller) | Romans 1:25
- Source of meaning | cover our sense of insignificance | to develop our “righteousness” or worth
B. You are part of God's plan: God will use anyone: It may be some people's sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others
1. Advance God's Kingdom: We're all missionaries
a. Worship leads to Evangelism (Pentecost) | Great Commission, Matt. 28:1-20 | Christ's Ambassador's, 2 Cor. 5:17-21
i. Evangelism is the presentation of the claims of Christ in the power of the Spirit to a world of need by a church in love
ii. Power Evangelism: Announcing the Kingdom (1 Cor. 4:10) | Divine Appointments
iii. Presence Evangelism: Not hiding our Faith | Friendship Evangelism – earn the right to share the gospel
iv. Servant Evangelism: Random acts of Kindness | Demonstration of Christ's love
v. Proclamation Evangelism (ABCD): Admit wrong | Believe in Jesus | Consider the cost | Decide to follow
2. Body of Christ | 1 Cor. 13:12
a. Through our individual roles we make up the church, which is the body of Christ
b. Stop “going to church” and start “being the church”
i. Join a home group | What opportunities to serve are available?
Calling – God's personal mission for you
A. Isaiah 6 – “Here I am Lord! Send me!”
1. Bloom where you are planted | Jeremiah 29:4
2. We are a chosen people | 1 Peter 2:9-10
B. Finding your Calling
1. Capitalize on your strengths
a. Discover your Spiritual Gifts | Natural abilities | experiences
2.Overcome your weaknesses
b. God will use your weaknesses/failures | “The call is greater than the fall” | 1 Cor. 1:26-31
C. Acting in faith on what you hear
1. Practice the Spiritual Disciplines
2. Listen to God & Listen to Others
1. As a group, let's ask the Holy Spirit for guidance
2. As a group, let's ask others for words of encouragement
Continue the Journey
1. Grow through trials, Romans 5:3
2. Run the race marked out for us, Hebrews 12:1