Where I Fit in the Mission of God
Role. Where I fit in God's Mission I feel God has confirmed time and time again that He has gifted me to be a teacher “to equip of the saints for the work of ministry.” I believe this equipping will happen in two stages: First, by advocating the priority and necessity of the Mission of God (to see all peoples reached with the message that we are to be witnesses that Christ suffered, rose from the dead for the proclamation of repentance and forgiveness of sins to all nations (Luke 24:46-49)) as the τέλος or purpose and end goal of ministry, and then second, equipping saints to work for that purpose and toward that end goal.
- Advocating the Mission of God – Since many believers and churches have seemingly lost or overlook God's Mission altogether, I feel it is necessary to fight the rulers, authorities, powers, and spiritual forces of evil (Ephesians 6:10) preventing a return to the roots of the faith and the commission that Christ gave to every believer: witnessing locally, regionally, cross-culturally, and globally (Acts 1:8). Through scholarship and teaching, I hope to open the eyes of believers to the foundation of the God's mission to not only ministry, but theology .
- Equipping Saints for the Mission of God – Once believers know why they are in ministry, to bring God increasing glory by bringing others to bring others to glorify God, then they need to be equipped to make that goal a reality (Ephesians 4:10-13). Through discipling believers with bible teaching, theological pursuit, and being members of the body of Christ, the church, I aim to empower new and rising believers to apply Christ’s words to their lives and share that transformation with others (Matthew 28:19).
- Realm. Where I plan to fulfill this role. As an advocate for returning churches and believers to the priority of God's mission, I foresee the need to travel to my Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and ends of the Earth (Acts 1:8) as an itinerant teacher. Since the Mission of God is a mandate for all peoples, it will be necessary to launch out from my “home culture” in order to learn how God's Mission appears within the context of various cultures and to teach the universal truths of our Father.
- Platform. How I plan to fulfill this role. Whether ultimately I launch out with the backing of a university or seminary of which I am a part/on staff or by utilizing my marketing & business background to form my own organization, I recognize that a doctorate is a necessary key to opening many doors to teach (even overseas). Thus, I aim to earn a PhD as a missiologically minded theologian (as opposed to a theologically minded missiologist) in an attempt to have the greatest impact as an advocate for the Mission of God.
- Summary. How I came to this realization. Mentored with a strong Kingdom Theology, it wasn't a stretch to see God's purpose all about advancing His kingdom through Christ's mission as revealed through the biblical progress of redemption. Yet, it was my experience that biblical mandate for the church to carry on Christ's mission has all but been forgotten and certainly rarely stressed and applied. It seemed that every church is founded on the notion of the Great Commission, yet they quickly stray because God's Mission is not central to the church's theology. Instead it ends up as a sub-point of Missiology (McQuilkin, 113). Writings and conversations with other scholars, Barnett, Wright, Tennent, and other professors helped confirm the real need to reclaim such a theology.
- Explanation. Why I think this is God's best fit for me in His mission. One day I realized that I didn't fear God, so I asked Him to teach me to fear Him. He did..instantly. That still small voice that you don't actually hear responded with something like, “Sure, go overseas for in my Name.” Ever since I have felt strongly about missions, but God has repeatedly closed doors on mission trip after mission trip. In the meantime, I've learned to take account of what God has given me in His sovereign plan. I was raised by a Marketer, received a business degree in marketing, and was successful marketing in the business world. In that time, God revealed and has continued to develop my gift of teaching through the local church. To top it off, I feel I have been given a passion to read and understand even complicated theological doctrines. Putting the pieces together, I see a need to return to the root of theology, God's plan of redemption for all peoples for His ultimate glory, and my unique combination of love for missions and theology with a background in communicating a message and the gift of teaching.